Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Random Bullets in Lieu of Fully-Fledged Posts
by Tom Bozzo
- It's Marginal Utility Jepoardy! Answer: The Battlefield Earth of the 19th century. I'm glad those Crazy Libertarians implied it first.
- At what point(s) do "holy book" contenders pass in the public view from vehicles for swindles of credulous celebrities to somewhat weird subcultural artifacts to unassailability to mythological fictions?
- Accompanying tunes for the preceding bullet: "Credulous as Hell" by Benny Profane, which is available (though not the studio recording I know) from the iTMS and eMusic. The latter is cheaper and DRM-free. The days of the iTunes Music Store Esoterica Index may be numbered.
- We love the Brick Testament.
- A lost post of Ken's included a link to a post chez Mark Cuban claiming that copyrighted content posted without authorization on sites such as YouTube is "unemployed" and hence is "not making money for its creators." That's codswallop. Ancient music videos appear to be among the Kopyright Kops' most policed content. But those were frackin' advertisements to begin with, and just think what some advertisers pay to spread their messages 'virally.' When product that the current generation can barely remember is available from sources such as the iTMS at near zero marginal cost to the owners, YouTubers's backsides ought to be kissed for caring about their stupid stuff.
- Put me down as being partial to Citadelle — tip of the hat to Susan Lindeborg, retired chef of the Majestic Café of Alexandria, Va., and her husband Richard. But I can't imagine how you could possibly test so many gins in one session.
- Relatedly, this Economix article totally rings true to me. The four martini glasses we'd received as wedding presents had suffered considerable attrition over the years. In the style of the times, those glasses were pretty big. So when I went to the store formerly known as Marshall Field's for some replacements, the "large martini" glass would be the one to pick, right? Wrong-o: if you could float a heavy cruiser in the old glasses, you can get a proper battleship in the new ones.
Labels: Random Bullets