Sunday, February 17, 2008

Honesty from a Corporation

by Ken Houghton

It had been a while since I looked at U.S. Food Policy, but the largest beef recall in U.S. history reminded me I might be missing something. Indeed, Parke Wilde first discussed animal abuse captured on video which, at its best, would be cruel, only a week ago.

Slaughtering cows that cannot otherwise stand increases the risk of BSE ("mad cow disease") in the food supply. Which is just one reason that bad treatment is also Bad Business Practice.

Another bad business practice is quoted at USFP:
The most ridiculous sentence in today's article comes from the Hallmark official who had the unpleasant job of reconciling the company's earlier untrue claims with the facts:
"We certainly wouldn't have failed to disclose that if we knew it was in the public record," he said.

I feel much better about domestic, let alone international, food processing standards now. In the nine months since Paul Krugman wrote "Yesterday I did something risky: I ate a salad," the stakes have only gotten higher.

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?