Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My inbox begs for money

by Ken Houghton

While I just described giving money to move Gary Farber from a good city to an all-right city as a good idea, I can't get such enthusiasm for the latest mailing, which seems to be from one of those Nigerian businessmen, except it lacks their usual verve, charm, and, yes, even style:
Today, there are 47 million uninsured individuals in the U.S., and nearly a quarter of them are children. High costs and limited access are the underlying, fundamental problems in our healthcare system.

Separate thoughts in the same paragraph, not for the last time. This reveals that the writer is not a native English speaker.
As you know, both Senators Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are touting outrageously expensive and unrealistic universal health care plans - a government monopoly over health care.

As is common knowledge, I wish that were so in the case of Obama. Again, confusing monopoly and monopsony gives away the game. Either Nigerian or a Friend of McMegan (link is not to a friend of McMegan, but rather to someone whose work you should be reading).
Unlike my opponents, I do not believe that all of our nation's problems can be solved by turning control over to our government, with all the tax increases, new mandates and government regulation that come with that idea.

Unlike the current system, where tax increases, new mandates, and government regulation that come with no idea. I'm starting to lean toward FoMcM, since no Nigerian ever talks about being regulated. Thought that "opponents" thing does imply some Civil War.
Today, our campaign began running a television ad focused on health care...to ensure all Americans hear the truth about how I plan to tackle the challenges facing our nation's health care system. To ensure this important ad is aired in as many markets as possible, I'm asking for your immediate financial assistance.

Ah! There it is! The pitch is just where the Nigerians put it.
I believe the key to real reform is to restore control over our health care system to the patients themselves. Americans need new choices beyond those offered in employment-based coverage.

The last time the "the patients themselves" had "control" over their part of the health care system was before Arizona was a state. Most "hospital" care was provided by charity wards run by churches.

This e-mail may not be from a Nigerian, but it's clearly from someone who wants to turn out health care system into the Nigerian one.
My friends, this is not my definition of real reform. I hope you will join me in my fight to tackle the real problems facing our nation's health care system by making a contribution of $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000, or $2,300 to help fund this important ad.

There's the pitch again. But...$2,300??? That seems small for a Nigerian.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

John McCain

Oh, him.

Please, folks, send Gary your money instead.

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?