Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Top Ten Movies

by Tom Bozzo

My see-every movie colleagues sent along their top ten lists for 2005. Stuff I've seen is in bold italics.

Here is [Colleague A's] top ten list for 2005:
1. Brokeback Mountain [Suzanne and I will see this in what looks to be an extended theatrical run]
2. Munich [I don't think I can see this with Suzanne, but my mother says it's excellent, too]
3. Walk the Line
4. Capote
5. Junebug
6. Memoirs of a Geisha
7. North Country
8. Crash
9. History of Violence
10. Proof
11. Shop Girl/Broken Flowers (*)

Worst movie of the year: Longest Yard.

[Colleague B]'s top ten for 2005
1. Star Wars Episode III
2. Sin City
3. War of the Worlds
4. Cinderella Man
5. Harry Potter
6. Walk the Line
7. Crash
8. Batman Begins
9. Downfall
10. Hustle and Flow
11. Wedding Crashers

Worst: Yes [according to the IMDB, released in 2004, but some things will continue to reach Madison slowly until the new Sundance multiplex is built.] and Me, You, and Everyone We Know.

I leave it to the reader to figure out which colleague is the gun-loving Republican and which has a collection of Star Wars action figures that makes my collection of Star Wars LEGO look like nothing.

---------------------

It turns out that I've actually seen more than 10 movies this year. A full list will require additional memory-jogging, but here are a few that spring to mind. Movies I liked are marked with an asterisk.

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (*, though Colleage C was rightly irritated that the film characterized weather hedges as crazy voodoo stuff)
The Upside of Anger (*)
Serenity (*)
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (*)
The Aristocrats (*)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (*, but needed more Vogon poetry criticism and less Vogons otherwise)
Two For The Money (my antipathy towards gambling extends to movies about it)
Flightplan (even Jodie Foster's presence can't save this thriller from its essential silliness)
Comments:
By promoting such movies as "Brokeback" and "Capote" I certainly DO hope you will be able to live with yourself for contributing to what Jan Parshall calls "The Homosexualizing of America."

Am I homosexualized yet? No. But I will be. And soon. We ALL will be!

There's no stopping it!!!

;)
 
Welcome, Lobotomist.

My two cents is that "Brokeback" and "Capote" combined aren't 1% as homosexualizing as the Hayden Christensen-Natalie Portman "romance" in AOTC and ROTS. :)
 
I own four of those movies (three from column A and one from column B, but they're all $5 acquisitions and, in at least two cases [A2 and A9], were specifically purchased because the chance of voluntarily "making a date of it" was nil (this in part as a result from having insisted on seeing B2 with her).

If your gun-toting Republican is representative of the Ancestral Party, then there really is no there there.

And you should see Batman Begins, which is available on legitimate video now. And Walk the Line is a great date movie, though the video for "Hurt" does everything it did in under five minutes.
 
I'll have to add 'Batman' to the queue for watching on a future girls' night out. (Very cool Batman LEGO sets are forthcoming, too.)

We may yet catch Walk the Line in the local second-run theater.

As for my Republican colleague, he's of the increasingly rare don't tax, don't spend, and leave me alone variety.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?