Sunday, November 07, 2004

Public Radio Fundraising

by Tom Bozzo

Jim Fleming of Wisconsin Public Radio seems to have an unnatural enthusiasm for the WPR pledge drives. But his "To the Best of Our Knowledge" was bringing home the bacon (Niman Ranch applewood smoked uncured bacon, perhaps) with special guest Chef Odessa Piper. Winter market shopping expeditions with Chef O. followed by brunch cooking at 25 N. Pinckney were going, at $500 a pop, like marzipan croissants back in the good ol' roll-the-dice days of the downstairs cafe. Never underestimate the power of the moneyed foodie elite!
Comments:
Yeah, I realized I had no bargaining power when she hired me to do foraging at the Market and offered a flat fee that would, shall we say, not make a dent in paying off the kids' college. She always used that old NPR argument: "you know people pay good money just to walk with me through the market." I didn't realize how good that money was! BTW, in my kitchen days there, they favored Nueske's! :)
 
Referencing the higherfalutin' Niman bacon was an exercise of artistic license on my part... I'd been looking for someplace to use it since Jeremy's free bacon post.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?